Organised under the patronage of the Latvian Presidency of the Council of the European Union, the Latvian Ministry of Transport and the Riga City Council, UITP's international seminar in Riga will discuss the state-of-the-art of public transport in the Baltic States, but also the broader Central and Eastern Europe region.
The seminar will focus on the current situation and developments of the public transport sector and the impact of EU legislation and the structural funds. There will be also a strong emphasis placed on contexts, opportunities and challenges faced by local, suburban and regional passenger transport, including bus, trolleybus, tram and commuter railway in the Baltic States.
The event is open to delegates from national, regional and local governments, officials from the European Commission and the European Parliament, but also professionals and experts from public transport operators and companies. This event is organised by UITP in co-operation with Riga City Council, and will address the following topics:
- Recent developments and evolution of public transport in the Baltic States and the CEEC region;
- The impact of mobility on economies, environment and societies in the region;
- The impact of EU policies and structural funds on public transport’s efficiency and attractiveness;
- Latest mobility trends: electromobility, open data, combined mobility, free public transport, etc.;
- Baltic States’ cities on their way towards smart cities – mobility’s key role;
- Local, regional and national business models for urban mobility.