Today, the transport sector remains the second largest emitter of Greenhouse Gas (GHG) emissions (producing over 20% of the emissions in Europe), and urban mobility plays a significant part in this. Climate action is at the heart of the European Green Deal and therefore the local contribution to mitigate Climate Change (CC) requires a strategic approach.
The European Commission strongly encourages cities to use a Sustainable Urban Mobility Plan (SUMP) as a proven, established multi-sectoral framework for effectively tackling all common urban mobility challenges, including congestion, pollution and climate change. For example, a SUMP often incorporates a Sustainable Energy and Climate Action Plan (SECAP) in line with the SUMP topic guide on the Harmonisation of Energy and Sustainable Urban Mobility Planning.
The webinar aims to look beyond the content of the SUMP topic guide on the Harmonisation of Energy and SUMPs, and marks the launch of a process to establish and consult a new dedicated topic guide on CC mitigation through SUMPs.
JASPERS supports the establishment of SUMPs in a number of countries and cities. Climate aspects of urban mobility are taking an increasing role in this advisory activity, and the necessity and urgency to define climate action objectives in SUMPs has become an explicit subject to JASPERS advice in several cities and regions. Furthermore, the EIB as the EU Climate Bank requires a solid strategic basis to define climate proof urban mobility investments during the appraisal process of lending requests.
This webinar is being held on 15 September 2021 between 09:30 - 17:00 CEST and aims at providing methodological and practical guidance and experience with:
- the definition and integration of CC mitigation objectives into the SUMP;
- the way to address this in the SUMP process;
- the shift of the type and scope of measures considered in a SUMP;
- the relevant indicators; and
- the necessary re-iteration in case the quantitative objectives are not met over time.
This also includes the opportunity to carry out the SUMP as much as possible in complementarity with local climate strategies and spatial/land-use plans, in order to maximise the positive impacts on GHG emissions.
The webinar targets transport planning practitioners and decision makers at local and governmental level throughout Europe. It will comprise a mixture of methodologies, case studies and organisational discussions to determine and achieve CC mitigation objectives in SUMPs.
The objectives of the webinar include to:
- Raise awareness of participants about the importance of planning CO2 reduction strategies at local level and learn how to link them with urban transport targets in SUMPs and potential investments based on them.
- Contribute to preparing future urban mobility investment activities aimed at decarbonising urban transport.
- Support municipal authorities in defining relevant stakeholders and their level of involvement for the adequate integration of climate issues in SUMPs.
- Ensure participants have the necessary information to define the scope for consultancy engagements for Climate related SUMP updates/revisions.
- Launch the elaboration and consultation process for a new dedicated topic guide on climate change mitigation through SUMPs.
For further information see the context and draft structure here: webinar_climate_change_mitigation_through_sumps_draft_content_and_structure.docx
The agenda is still subject to consultation but a draft will be made available at registration.
To register for this webinar please see here. Registrations will be open on Friday 20th August.