ICLEI – Local Governments for Sustainability is an association of 1,200 local governments in 68 countries that are dedicated to sustainable development. It has 15 offices servicing its members while developing innovative projects and events and is an international not-for-profit association and network perceived as the international representative of cities for sustainability. The European Secretariat is based in Freiburg, Germany.
The European Secretariat of ICLEI – Local Governments for Sustainability seeks to fill the position of an Officer applying her/his knowledge on sustainable mobility and transport at the service of one or several teams.
Description of work:
The ICLEI European Secretariat is structured in four major teams called “Governance and Social Innovation”, “Sustainable Economy and Procurement”, “Sustainable Resources, Climate and Resilience”, and “Communication and Member Relations”. The position will contribute to their work in a cross-cutting manner according to the varying thematic focus of sustainable mobility and transport activities within the envisaged contract period.
Tasks and responsibilities:
- Together with the responsible coordinator oversee the development and successful delivery of projects with a focus on sustainable mobility and transport in cities.
- Create and deliver high quality project documentation and ensure high quality standards of project outcomes.
- Responsible for work planning and implementation of project tasks together with external partners, e.g. project partners, cities and funders.
- Through European-funded projects and through consultancy services support cities in the planning and implementation of sustainable mobility measures.
- Develop and support the drafting and publication of reports and guidance.
- Develop and maintain effective partnerships and joint working with a variety of organisations.
- Organise events (e.g. meetings, workshops, training seminars and conferences).
- Undertake research, develop case studies, source and write news articles.
- Contribute to communication, information and dissemination tasks within one or several projects. Tasks may include contributing to the development, implementation and monitoring of communication strategies, compiling newsletters, development of promotional material.
- Review funding opportunities and write project proposals.
- Represent ICLEI at events and undertake presentations as necessary.
- Based on the above activities, further develop ICLEI’s strategic and thematic standing in the area of sustainable mobility and transport.
- Draft position papers on sustainable mobility on behalf of ICLEI and present them to relevant institutions.
Skills and qualifications:
- Graduate in a related discipline such as sustainable development/ mobility, urban/ transport planning, economics, public administration, social/ political sciences, communications or related field.
- Ability to develop and apply sustainable urban mobility concepts and approaches.
- Two years’ experience of working on mobility/transport.
- Strategic thinking.
- Excellent project implementation and management skills.
- Ability to manage relationships with a wide range of senior stakeholders.
- Good proficiency in presentation, facilitation, moderation and training.
- A very good command of English (reading, writing and speaking) plus at least one additional European language.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, e.g. minute taking, drafting reports and delivering presentations to audiences at a variety of levels.
- Effective organisational skills, the ability to prioritise tasks, manage time and meet strict deadlines.
- Ability and willingness to work independently and as part of a team.
- Self-confident and highly motivated.
- Confident user of all Microsoft Office applications.
- Experience of working in European projects.
- Experience in development / implementation of Sustainable Urban Mobility Plans (SUMPs)
- Good research skills in order to identify good practice and adapt for use in local government settings.
- Previous work experience of at least two years in an international organisation, local government or NGO.
- High level of self-organisation and flexibility.
- Limited contract, duration from September 2016 until August 2018.
- Corridor contract 80-100% with a gross salary according to Officer position in ICLEI’s salary grid (indicative: EUR 40.000 € - 44.000 € per annum for 100%). Foreseen to start at 100% of full-time position.
- Place of work: ICLEI European Secretariat, Freiburg, Germany.
- Workings hours: 40 h/week, six weeks of paid leave per annum.
- Working language: English.
- Readiness for frequent travel.
- Applicants must – due to legal reasons – hold EU citizenship or valid EU residence permit and a valid German work permit. Applications not meeting these conditions can unfortunately not be considered.
- Deadline for application: 6 June 2016.
Be aware that applications are reviewed continuously upon arrival; therefore application as soon as possible is advisable.
Please apply in writing, including a CV and letter of motivation to: email@example.com
For more information about ICLEI visit: www.iclei-europe.org
ICLEI Europe’s Equal Opportunity and Employment Policy
ICLEI Europe’s hiring policy is geared to ensure that the organisation hires employees without regard to their race, colour, religion, national origin, citizenship, age, sex, marital status, socio-economic background or sexual orientation. ICLEI’s policy is that applicants for employment and career progression are considered solely on the basis of their qualifications and competencies.