Bikes for Ukraine invites the whole world to support Ukraine and join the international campaign #BikesForUkraine.
Purpose of the campaign
They are working to increase the mobility of Ukrainian volunteers and make humanitarian aid more accessible to those who need it most.
A bicycle has become the main transportation mode for Ukrainian cities that have suffered from the Russian military aggression: Kharkiv, Chernihiv, Sumy and others. These cities struggle with interrupted or fully non-operational public transportation and lack of fuel. Thus, the bicycle remains the only mobility option for the delivery of humanitarian aid and the movement of personnel of critically important services. You can help Ukrainian people to become mobile - during the war it means to save lives.Who are they asking for support?
Cycling community organisations, international and European institutions, municipalities of the cities.How can you help?
- Independently purchase bicycles abroad or in Ukraine and transfer them to U-Cycle
- Collect and repair used bicycles in your city and organise its transfer to Ukraine
- If you are a cycling business – donate your bicycles
- Fund the purchase of bicycles in Ukraine on U-Cycle bank details or PayPal:
Account number: UA403052990000026001006209584
Bank: CB PRIVATBANK Kiev
Bank code 305299
Anastasiia Makarenko is an executive director of U-Cycle (NGO ‘Kyiv Cyclists’ Association’).What your donations for:
- 1 new bicycle – 250 EUR
- 1 used bicycle – 100 EUR
- 1/2 of used bicycle – 50 EUR
- 1/4 of used bicycle – 25 EUR
- Cable lock for a bicycle – 10 EUR
The purchase of bicycles in Ukraine will simplify logistics, as well as support the Ukrainian economy today.
To help, fill in the form: https://forms.gle/66J2U5QBBo2ufRwf8
They accept requests for bicycles from organisations, youth centres and humanitarian hubs in Ukraine: https://forms.gle/M6Ago7zsCdhrHCDb9 Priority will be given to cities / villages affected by hostilities, where the road network is destroyed and/or public transport is not working. They will also consider applications from cities that accept forcibly displaced people.
The Campaign is initiated by: U-Cycle (NGO ‘Kyiv Cyclists’ Association’), NGO ‘Eco Misto’ (Chernihiv), NGO ‘Youth Association Extreme Style’ (Sumy), NGO ‘Urban Reform’ (Kharkiv), NGO ‘FORZA’ (Uzhhorod)The Campaign is supported by:
- International company ORESUND of transport solutions for sustainable mobility projects helped us to find and buy the first 70 bicycles for Chernihiv, Sumy, and Kharkiv
- NGO Changing Cities (Germany), which collects and repairs 100 used bicycles for Kharkiv
- Transformative Urban Mobility Initiative (TUMI) / GIZ
See futher information on other transport initiatives here: #TransportHelpUkraine | Transformative Urban Mobility Initiative
Over 300 bikes have now been sent to Ukraine from the European Commission's Directorate-General for Mobility & Transport (DG MOVE) specific bike collection in Belgium. Click here for further information.
Please support the campaign with your own intiatives like the one above in Brussels.