When a final set of measures has been selected, it is time to assign responsibilities and resources. A clear picture of who is in charge of an action and where the funding comes from is a cornerstone of every Sustainable Urban Mobility Plan. This requires close coordination and discussion among all actors that will have a role in developing and implementing the measures or packages of measures.
- Identify required resources and responsibilities for the implementation of the selected (packages of) measures.
- Assure that all measures are clearly prioritised and realistically deliverable.
- Secure efficient and effective allocation of resources (human, knowledge, funds).
- Ensure close coordination with stakeholders for implementation.
- Discuss the proposed measures with the stakeholders who could potentially play a role in designing and implementing them.
- Identify options for who can take the lead in implementing a measure and where the funding could come from.
- Validate a realistic plan: check the consistency between planned activities, targets aimed at and allocated budgets.
- Ensure good coordination between different funding sources.
- Organise meetings with concerned stakeholders to discuss and agree on responsibilities and resources.
Details on the tasks
Possible funding sources
- Local taxes: a special local transport tax for public transport paid by public or private enterprises, developers;
- Revenue funding: tickets, parking fees, city centre pricing, congestion charging, advertisements;
- Private sector operators, developers, industry; knowledge and skills – SMEs;
- Fundraising activities involving appropriate sponsors (but consider compatibility with marketing strategy);
- Local budgets: from different municipalities and different policy domains;
- State subsidies (regional sources if applicable);
- EU subsidies.
Source: Pilot Manual – full version, amended,
Activities beyond essential requirements
- Involve citizens in discussion on final selection of measures.
Timing and coordination
- Evolves in parallel with the development of scenarios (> Activity 3.2) and targets (> Activity 5.2); concluded after Step 6 Develop effective packages of measures.
- Process takes several months.
|Final set of packages of measures proposed.|
|Responsibilities and possible funding sources identified.|
|Discussion with concerned stakeholders concluded.|