Horizon 2020 is the EU Research and Innovation programme with nearly €77 billion of funding available over 7 years (2014 to 2020) in the areas of transport and energy. Horizon 2020 calls for research & innovation projects of relevance to urban mobility include:
- Smart, green and integrated transport
- Smart Cities and communities
- Next-generation batteries
- Green vehicles
- Nature based solutions
Horizon 2020 projects in urban mobility have been grouped under the CIVITAS initiative.
- Across a network of European cities, this initiative tests and implements innovative solutions for cleaner and better urban transport and mobility.
- CIVINET Activity Fund is a programme that supports the take-up of sustainable urban mobility measures in Europe by providing financial assistance for specific activities programme’s city networks (CIVNETS).
- CIVITAS Forum Network members can participate in the annual CIVITAS FORUM conference and present the results of their urban mobility measures within technical sessions and/or the exhibition.
Horizon 2020 also supports the Fuel Cell and Hydrogen Joint Undertaking 2014-2020.
This aims to accelerate the commercial deployment of hydrogen-based energy and transport solutions across Europe through a total investment of €1.33 billion.