A key political objective is to enhance mobility, while concurrently reducing pollution as we look to address global issues such as climate change and air quality. Energy efficient vehicles and alternative fuels have a fundamental role to play in this transition and the reliance of the transport sector on oil for 94% of its energy needs represents a significant opportunity.
The market will drive this change but requires supporting policy action. The Clean Power for Transport package aims to facilitate the development of a single market for alternative fuels for transport in Europe, while the Directive on the Promotion of Clean and Energy Efficient Road Transport Vehicles aims at a broad market introduction of environmentally-friendly vehicles.
For more information on legislation and policy in the field of Green Vehicle and Fuels, see the following pages:
- European Commission - Clean transport, Urban transport
- European Commission - Alternative fuels for sustainable mobility in Europe
- European Commission - Clean and energy efficient vehicles
- Directives and regulations on motor vehicles, their trailers, systems and components
- Directives and regulations on two- and three-wheel vehicles and quadricycles