The new Sustainable Urban Mobility Plan (SUMP) in Terrassa established the action plan for 2016-21. It incorporates a group of measures aimed at reducing the accident rate, noise pollution and energy consumption, which allows for an improvement in environmental quality and the habitability of the streets. Also wants to increase the autonomy of the children, the elderly and disabled people.
In order to achieve these objectives the plan considers:
1. Implementing a Urban Protected Atmosphere Zone (ZUAP) in the city center and turn the neighborhood streets in walkable streets in favor of people and social relations such as leisure, games, etc.
2. Allocating more space to pedestrians, bicycles and public transport, because currently, the 66% of the street space is used by vehicles circulation and parking, and only 34% by pedestrians
3. Promoting accessibility by making the perceived distances shorter thanks to improvements in comfort and accessibility to streets, sidewalks, and by giving more space to pedestrians through low cost transformations, which would only require creativity and innovation.
4. Other actions aim to make the public transport more competitive than private transport modes through a better network that is closer to the necessities of citizens. For example, by improving the frequencies of trains, high speed trains and the accessibility to the stations.
5. All these measures have to be implemented at the same time with other actions oriented at educating, inform and raise awareness over people in order to create a sustainable, healthy and secure society.
Video resum: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqjZ4B7xVJc