The awareness and educational campaigns on Sustainable Mobility in the city of Rome addressed pupils aged from 9 to 12 years. Main activities undertaken: small workshops in the classroom, visit to the depot of the PT operator, interactive game in the classroom, competition for picture and celebration party where gift were distributed to pupils.
Background & Objectives
ATAC spa has carried out a travel awareness/education campaign within the EU project TAPESTRY. The campaign focused on raising children’s awareness in opting for public transport as a solution to pollution problems and as a better way of enjoying their town.This means change the participants’ attitude and their future behaviour by having them options for public transport and enhancing their civic consciousness in using public means of transport.All actions aimed at promoting the concept of sustainable mobility in the new generation which will be the next users of public transport.This is of special importance in a town like Rome where modal split is still too much showing high predominance of the personal car.
The campaign addressed 60 classrooms from 20 different schools in the city of Rome. (children aged between 9 and 12)The following measures where undertaken:
- Visits to the depots where maintenance work is carried out on buses and trams;
- Educational interactive videogames promoting the use of public transport;>
- Celebration party (1200 children took part in the celebration) Each class received the “Tapestry” poster and the students were given “Tapestry” T-shirts as well as a “Certificate of Participation”.
ConclusionsThe campaign sorted effective results:
- Increase in the use of public transport for home-school trips
- Increase of the level of perceived security & reliability using PT
- In general pupils plan to use more public transport in the future