Circle is a symbol of wholeness, completeness. CIVITAS MOBILIS in Ljubljana is trying to close the circle on bio-diesel: to develope sustainable regional production, supply and distribution structures for alternative fuel on example of bio-diesel, following the principles of diversification, renewability and cost-effectiveness of energy supply.
Objectives / Innovative Aspects
Our main objective is to develop sustainable regional production, supply and distribution structures for alternative fuels with special emphasis on biodiesel. Through testing, demonstration and evaluation of the impacts of a large scale implementation of different clean vehicles technologies in public transport, measure is aiming to attract other urban services (f.e. freight delivery, taxi services,…).
This measure consists of several tasks:
- Comparative analysis of market and regulatory conditions for bio-diesel supply and usage
- Marketing study on provision of row material for production of bio diesel from domestic and foreign market Investment study on overview and selection of technology
- Testing of oil rape sorts including hybrid sorts (10 - 15 sorts) in order to define the most suitable sort according to climate conditions
- Possibilities of further processing of oil cakes as bio diesel synthesis by-product
- Investigation of influence of several mixtures (bio-diesel/diesel) and several fuel temperatures on fuel injection characteristics under several operating regimes
- Testing bio-diesel usage and engine performance
Ljubljana public transport company has started testing the use of biodiesel mixture on two buses in cooperation with the University of Maribor, Mechanical Engineering Faculty. Researchers provided investigations on bus engines, necessary to prevent or at least mitigate different engine or environmental problems.Agricultural Institute developed a simulation model for the evaluation of the production economics for rape seed on smaller estates to support its local production.For the territory of Slovenia, a decentralized form of production of oil from rape seed for biodiesel fuel in smaller production units (decentralised production units) pressing from 0.1 t to 5 t/day and situated in different locations over the country is of extraordinary interest. Decentralized production units could operate economically and in an environmentally friendly manner if their technical equipment and working process are as simple as possible and use as little energy as possible.Currently (September 2007) twenty buses are running daily on 100 % biodiesel.
Main expected result are, identification of the most suitable sort of oil rape for Slovenia, to start with biodiesel production from vegetable seeds, waste oils and animal fat in the initial/testing phase, to identify optimal fuel mixtures (bio?diesel/diesel) to achieve good injection and fuel spray characteristics without expensive engine modifications in all operating regimes, especially in winter conditions, to determine of necessary modifications on engine fuel injection system for several mixtures (bio?diesel/diesel) to improve engine characteristics and to develop technical specifications for optimised bio-diesel engine performance. Important issues is co-operation between interest groups, local authorities and public administration.