The free accessible database ecoscore rates vehicles according to their environmental impact. It was developed and is maintained in cooperation of the three Belgian regions with initiatives and research institutes to support product choice in administrations, economy and households.
Background & Objectives“ecoscore“ is a database implemented on behalf of the three Belgian regions in cooperation with initiatives, research institutes and authorities on regional and national level comparing road vehicles with respect to ecological aspects. It could become the basis of vehicle procurement of Belgian authorities; some administrations already use it for this purpose. The database is open to the public.
Implementationecoscore contains cars and small vans, motorbikes, mopeds and some lorries. Current and some elder models are listed, so it might be useful for the purchase of used cars too. It gives basic information on the environmental performance of the vehicle of interest and, based on this information, a ranking from 0-100 points with 0 points being the worst grading.>The assessment bases on:
- Greenhouse effect (50%)
- Emissions of air pollutants with respect to human health (20%) and environment (20%)
- Noise emissions of the engine (10%)
- Some technical details
- The amount of points achieved due to the assessment scheme
- The ranking of the car relative to vehicles of similar size and
- The ranking compared to the entity of all vehicles listed in the database.