The EVIDENCE project is a strategic initiative funded by EACI and designed to unlock the potential of SUMP implementation.
Quite often, the evidence that is available is ad-hoc, of varying quality and either inaccessible or unavailable within the timescales of decision-making. However, evidence does exist, but often it’s not in an accessible format. Policy makers and professionals that need it, don’t have the time or resources to search through it and to gauge the credibility.
The EVIDENCE expert team has been working to solve this ‘credibility gap’, and so far it has:
- completed extensive research to identify existing data (research papers, reports, feasibility studies, etc.) available on the benefits of sustainable transport
- completed a series of peer reviews of this data to sort out the reliable research from the unreliable data
- based on the peer-reviewed data completed a set of 22 mobility measure reviews
- made the evidence available on this website
- published a summary report
This enhanced knowledge will help facilitate effective integration of sustainable transport measures into urban mobility plans improving the credentials as ‘sustainable’ urban mobility plans.
In doing so countries, regions, towns and cities will be better placed to improve health, increase economic efficiency, enhance access to employment, reduce the running costs of transport systems and help manage financial demands for new infrastructure.