Home > Discover > News > University of Antwerp experiments with heated cycling path (Belgium)

University of Antwerp experiments with heated cycling path (Belgium)

By News Editor / Updated: 06 Oct 2017

A network of underground tubes is being installed under an experimental cycling path at the University of Antwerp.

The purpose is to store heat during the summer which will keep the path clear from ice and snow in the winter. A heat exchanger will enable this to happen.

Researchers from the Faculty of Applied Engineering are working on the project. Keeping the path clear from ice is a clear benefit for users, but it may also bring environmental and financial benefits by avoiding the use of salt, which is normally used to keep the paths clear.

Conversely, during the summer the underground system of tubes can keep the path cool, which could avoid damage to the surface from excessive heat.

Only 20% of the heat generated by the exchanger will be needed to heat the path in the winter. The remaining 80% can be used to heat nearby buildings.

For more information, visit madeinantwerpen.be (in Dutch).

Image credit: Evening Flow 8, 3 December 2010 (from Flickr) by Mikael Colville-Andersen under CC BY 2.0.

Walking and cycling
0 have recommended.
Share on